All pictures Copyright
 E & BJ Capper Nagold 2005/2006


28.10.2005

Třebíč / Trebic

Ort zum Nachdenken

A thoughtful place

Vielleicht erhält mancher Leser den Eindruck, das gezielte Aufsuchen von Welterbestätten sei wie Rosinenpickerei. Fraglos stehen viele der von der Unesco aufgelisteten Gebäudekomplexe höchst malerisch in der Gegend herum. Doch sie sind niemals nur schön - manchmal sind sie das auch gar nicht -, sondern zeichnen sich immer dadurch aus, dass sie - wie Licht in einem Brennglas - Weltgeschichte in einem Fokus bündeln, verständlich und zugänglich machen. Welterbestätten sind Spiegel der Vergangenheit, die uns aufzeigen, wo wir herkommen.

Perhaps some readers get the impression that concentrating on the UNESCO world heritage listed sites is like picking the cherries from the cake. Of course many of the buildings and towns on the list are in beautiful and picturesque settings. But they are never ‘just’ beautiful -some are not very attractive - they are chosen because they bring some aspect of world history and culture into focus and make it accessible and more understandable. They mirror the past and show us where we come from.

Das in der südmährischen Stadt Trebic liegende Judenviertel, das größte noch erhaltene in ganz Europa, ist solch ein Spiegel, der über Jahrzehnte erblindet war und eigentlich zerschlagen werden sollte. Während der kommunistischen Herrschaft war der Abriss längst geplant. Geldmangel und schließlich der Fall des Eisernen Vorhangs bewahrten es davor. Und seitdem wird an diesem Spiegel der Zeitgeschichte tüchtig geputzt. Mit großem Einsatz wurden das fast verfallene Ghetto und die sich in direkter Nachbarschaft befindliche Basilika St. Prokop behutsam restauriert, was 2003 zu ihrer Aufnahme in die UNESCO Welterbeliste führte.
Das Bild zeigt die Ansicht des Ghettos vom Fluss Jihlava aus. Eingezwängt und beengt lag es zwischen christlicher Stadt, Fluss und dem Berg Hradek. Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte wurde es deshalb immer wieder das Opfer von Bränden und Überflutungen.

In the South Moravian town of Trebic is the largest still existing old Jewish Quarter in the whole of Europe. It is one of the mirrors reflecting the past, but one which had become dull for decades. During the Communist regime it was long planned to be demolished but lack of finances and then the fall of the Iron Curtain prevented it. Since then the ‘mirror’ is in process of refurbishment. With great dedication the almost derelict ghetto and the directly neighbouring Basilica of St. Prokop have been carefully restored, which resulted in them being added to the UNESCO list in 2003.
The picture shows the ghetto from the bridge over the River Jihlava. It is jammed in between the Christian town, the river and the Hradek hill and thus over the centuries was often the victim of fires and flooding. 

 

 

 

Die Stadt Trebic (ca. 40000 Einwohner) liegt nur etwa 35km von Telc entfernt, wo wir den frühen Nachmittag verbracht haben. Trotz des schwindenden Lichts beschließen wir deshalb, vor unserer Rückfahrt zum Campingplatz in Budweis (es gibt keinen weiteren offenen in der Gegend) einen Abstecher nach Trebic zu unternehmen. Dies erklärt die zunehmend schlechtere Belichtung unserer Fotos.
Malerisch breitet sich die Stadt entlang der Jihlava (deutsch: Igel) im Tal und auf den Hügeln aus. Einigen wenigen schönen alten Gebäuden stehen manche weniger ansprechende neue gegenüber. Seine weltweite Bedeutung erlangte Trebic durch die einzigartige Basilika aus dem 13. Jh. (rechts) und das sich in unmittelbarer Nachbarschaft befindende jüdische Ghetto (linker Bildrand).

The town of Trebic (ca. 40000 inhabitants) is only about 35km distant from Telc, where we spent the earlier part of the day. Despite the already fading light we decide to drive the extra distance to Trebic before returning to our camping site in Budweis, (there isn’t another one that we know is open in the whole area at the time of the year). This explains why the exposure of our photos gets steadily worse during this chapter!
The town is spread out along the River Jihlava (in English: Hedgehog) in the valley and on the nearby hills. There are some attractive older houses and some relatively unattractive newer ones. Trebic international significance is due to the unique 13th century Basilica (right) and the nearby Jewish ghetto (starting lower left).

 

 

 

Als erstes wollen wir dem Judenviertel einen Besuch abstatten. Seine Einzigartigkeit besteht darin, dass es in seiner Struktur und Anlage noch völlig intakt ist. Nur 4 Häuser wurden in den letzten 60 Jahren abgerissen. Um zwei längs hindurch führende Straßen gruppieren sich 123 Häuser und 2 Synagogen. Das Bild zeigt die Aufspaltung eines Ghetto-Zugangs in die das Viertel dominierenden zwei längs verlaufenden Straßen, die sich am Ende des Viertels wieder vereinen. Der gute Zustand der Gebäude bezeugt die erfolgreichen Renovierungsarbeiten der letzten Jahre.

First we want to visit the Jewish quarter. What is unique about it is that its structure and buildings are still intact. Only 4 houses were demolished in the last 60 years. Grouped principally along two roads running parallel to the valley slope are 123 houses and 2 synagogues. The picture shows where the two roads separate at the beginning of the ghetto. At the far end they join again. The good condition of the buildings witnesses to the successful renovation work of the last few years.

 

 

 

Wir gehen Richtung Fluss und stoßen dabei auf diese lebensgroße Einritzung einer sich abstützenden Person. Sie wurde bewusst nicht überpflastert.
Wir können allerdings keine weiteren Informationen zu ihr finden; deshalb mag sich jeder so seine eigenen Gedanken dazu machen.  (Oder kann jemand uns einen Tipp geben?)

Walking towards the river we pass this drawing of a person carved into the external plaster of a house. It is about the size of a small adult and has obviously been intentionally left free when the wall was recently replastered and painted.
We haven’t been able to find out anything further about it, so (until or unless someone helps us with information) make your own mind up!

 

 

 

 

 

In der Nähe des Flusses steht das ehemalige Rathaus des Ghettos (links). Es entstand 1899 auf einem älteren Renaissance-Kern. Von 1849-1931 befand sich hier der Sitz der politisch selbständigen jüdischen Gemeinde.
Das Bild rechts zeigt ein für das jüdische Viertel typisches Haus mit einem für Prachthäuser in den mährischen Ghettos charakteristischen Motiv: einer einsäuligen Ecklaube. Das Erdgeschoss der meisten Häuser wurde für Läden und Handwerksstätten genutzt, die Obergeschosse dienten zum Wohnen.

Near the river is the old ghetto town hall (left). It was built in 1899 on the core of the older Renaissance building. From 1849 to 1931 this was the seat of the politically independent Jewish community.
On the right is a typical house of the Jewish quarter with a decorative element characteristic of Moravian ghettos - a single-pillared porch. Most of the houses had a shop or handicraft workshop on the ground floor. Upper floors were dwellings.

 

 

 

Dieses Haus diente von 1867 bis in die 20er Jahre des 20. Jh. als Grundschule. Die jüdische Grundschule musste seit Ende des 18. Jh., nach der Einführung der Schulpflicht durch die Aufklärungsreformen des Kaisers Josef II., von den Knaben ab dem 5. Lebensjahr besucht werden. Es wurden hauptsächlich Hebräisch, die Thora und Judaismus unterrichtet.

This house served from 1867 into the 1920’s as primary school. As part of the enlightened reforms under Emperor Joseph II, from the end of the 18th century school attendance at the Jewish primary school became compulsory for boys of 5 and older. They were taught mainly Hebrew, the Torah and about Judaism.

 

 

 

Eines der interessantesten Motive, die charakteristisch für mährische Ghettos sind. Dunkle und gewölbte öffentliche Durchgänge verbanden quer die Gassen durch die Erdgeschosse der Häuser hindurch.

One of the most interesting motives, characteristic of Moravian ghettos: dark and vaulted public passageways directly through the ground floors of the houses and connecting the streets on both sides.

 

 

 

 

 

Ein Blick die untere längs verlaufende Straße entlang. Man erkennt, dass bei weitem noch nicht alle Häuser restauriert sind. Am Ende der Straße sieht man rechts die ehemalige Gerberfabrik der Familie Subak, die Ende des 18. Jh. gegründet und 1931 stillgelegt wurde. Um das Fabriksgebäude zu erhalten, wurden kürzlich Wohnungen in ihm eingerichtet.
 Anfang des 19. Jh. lebten 1190 Menschen im Ghetto. 

Looking along the Lower Jewish St. we see that not nearly all the houses have been restored yet. At the end of the road on the right is the old tannery factory of the Subak family, which was founded at the end of the 18th century and closed in 1931. In order to preserve the factory building it has recently been converted to flats.
At the start of the 19th century 1190 people lived in the ghetto. 

 

 

 

Hier blicken wir in die entgegengesetzte Richtung der gleichen Straße. Im Hintergrund erkennt man die Türme der Basilika St. Prokob, zu deren Füßen sich das Ghetto entwickelte. Das Benediktinerkloster von 1101 und die kurz darauf erbaute Basilika zogen bald christliche und jüdische Siedler an. Trebic ist deshalb auch ein Wahrzeichen für das Jahrhunderte überdauernde, meist friedliche Zusammenleben von Christen und Juden. Zweimal kam es im Lauf der Jahrhunderte zu Judenverfolgung und Plünderung in Trebic (vor dem 2. Weltkrieg). Doch ein großer finanzieller Druck in Form sehr hoher Steuern oder Schutzgeldern lastete immer auf den hiesigen Juden - trotz der Bemühungen einzelner Herrscher um eine gesetzliche Gleichstellung. Nach der maximalen Bevölkerungszahl von ca. 1500 Einwohnern im 18. Jh. sank die Zahl der hier Ansässigen aufgrund der Repressalien ständig.

Along the road in the opposite direction we see the towers of the St. Prokob basilica. The ghetto extends nearly up to it. The Benedictine monastery was started in 1101 and the basilica added not long after. They soon attracted both Christian and Jewish settlers. For that reason Trebic also symbolizes the mainly peaceful  coexistence of Christians and Jews. Over the centuries prior to the 20th there were two specific periods of persecution and looting of the Jewish population in Trebic. Nevertheless there was normally heavy financial pressure on the Jewish community in the form of high taxes or protection money, despite efforts of some individual rulers to establish legal equality. After a maximum of ca. 1500 Jewish inhabitants in the 18th century the number continually declined due to the continuous repression.

 

 

 

Auch hier erkennt man Anstrengungen, um die Stadt für Touristen attraktiv zu machen: das jüdische Restaurant "Rachel" wird ausgebaut.
Wir hoffen, dass das Ghetto nicht übertrieben  "herausgeputzt" wird.

Here work is going on to make the place more attractive for tourists: the Jewish restaurant ‘Rachel’ is being restored.
We hope it will be possible to resist the risk of ‘over-restoring’ the ghetto.

 

 

 

Wo obere und untere Straße aufeinander treffen, befindet sich ein kleiner Platz, an dem die ehemalige Synagoge steht, heute ein Museum und Informationszentrum.

There is a small square where the two main streets join again. One of the 2 previous synagogues stands here - now with museum and information centre.

 

 

 

Die obere längs verlaufende Gasse, an deren Anfang sich rechts die bedeutende Hintersynagoge (deutlicher auf dem rechten Bild zu erkennen) befindet. Sie wurde um die Wende des 16./17. Jh. erbaut. 1707 wurden die Wände mit Stuckatur und Gemälden von Ornamental- und Pflanzendekor und mit hebräischen Liturgietexten ausgeschmückt.

The Upper Jewish St. (left) with the second synagogue at the start on the right of it (clearer in picture right). It was built at the turn of the 16th and 17th centuries. In 1707 the walls were decorated with plaster-work and paintings showing ornamental and plant motives and also with Hebrew liturgical texts.  

 

 

 

Läuft man ein wenig weiter diese Straße entlang, stößt man auf das Armenhaus des Ghettos, das vom sozialen Verantwortungsgefühl der Gemeinde zeugt. Es war anfangs ein sog. Kondominium, das ist ein für das Viertel typischer Baustil, bei dem ein Haus mehrfach horizontal und vertikal zwischen verschiedenen Besitzern aufgeteilt wird.

Further along the Upper Jewish St. is the old poor house of the ghetto, witnessing to the social conscience of the community. It was initially a so-called condominium (i.e. shared between several owners), divided both horizontally and vertically into the properties of the individual owners.

 

 

 

Blick vom Armenhaus aus in eine der zahlreichen quer verlaufenden Gassen.
Jenseits des Jihlava-Flusses steht die Kirche St. Martin, deren Turm mit der bemerkenswerten, 7m im Durchmesser großen Uhr man im Hintergrund erkennt.

Opposite the poor house is one of the several small alleyways joining the two main streets.
Beyond the River Jihlava is the church of St. Martin with the  remarkably large clock in its tower. Each clock-face has a diameter of 7m.

 

 

 

 

 

Wie eng und steil die Gassen sind, kann man auf diesen Bildern sehen.
Das Ghetto hatte keinen Raum, um sich auszudehnen. Erst 1848, als die jüdischen Bürger rechtlich völlig gleichgestellt wurden, kam es zur Abwanderung reicher Juden aus dem Viertel in wohlhabendere Stadtgebiete und andere Städte.
Die Anzahl der Bewohner vor dem 2. Weltkrieg lag bei 291 Personen. Nach dem Holocaust kehrten nur 10 Bewohner zurück. Heute leben keine Juden mehr im Viertel. Allerdings nimmt die Besucherzahl der Personen aus Übersee stark zu, die von ehemaligen trebischer Ghetto-Bewohnern abstammen und ihre Wurzeln erforschen wollen.

The pictures show both directions of one of the steep and narrow alleyways.
The ghetto had no room to grow. It was only after 1848, when the Jewish citizens were given equal rights, that some of the more prosperous Jews left the ghetto to live in wealthier parts of the town or in other towns.
Before the 2nd World War the ghetto population numbered 291. After the Holocaust only 10 returned and nowadays there are no Jews living in the quarter. However there are increasing numbers of overseas visitors, some of whom descend from previous Jewish citizens of Trebic and come to research their roots.

 

 

 

Zum geschützten Kulturerbe zählt auch der jüdische Friedhof in Trebic. Er ist einer der größten und bestgepflegten in Mähren und liegt etwas außerhalb kurz hinter dem Kamm des Berges Hradek. Er wurde am Anfang des 17. Jh. hierher verlegt, ist ganz von einer Mauer umgeben und enthält 3000 Gräber. Die komplett erhaltene Trauerhalle am Eingang des Friedhofs wurde 1903 errichtet.

Part of the protected cultural heritage is the Jewish cemetery in Trebic. It is one of the largest and best-kept in Moravia and is situated above the ghetto beyond the crest of Hradek hill. It was moved here at the beginning of the 17th century, is totally enclosed by a wall and contains 3000 graves. The mourning hall at the entrance built in 1903 is still complete. 

 

 

 


Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Trebic Panorama 10.2005

Der Friedhof strahlt eine fast friedliche Ruhe aus, ein Gefühl, das einen alsbald verlässt, wenn man die Grabsteine näher betrachtet. Ich bin betroffen darüber, dass fast alle Namen deutsch klingen, wie Spitzer, Waldstein oder Fried, und auch in deutscher Schrift eingraviert wurden, zumindest die neueren.

Nach dem Bau der Basilika wanderten aus anderen tschechischen Landstrichen Juden, die ursprünglich aus Deutschland und Österreich stammten, in Trebic ein. Die Verbundenheit mit der deutschen Sprache und Kultur blieb über die Jahrhunderte erhalten, und selbst nach dem Holocaust erklärten sich noch ein Viertel der verbliebenen tschechischen Juden mit Deutschland verbunden. Dies führte - neben anderen Gründen - dazu, dass Juden auch unter dem kommunistischen Regime der CSSR repressiv behandelt wurden und in der Anzahl weiter abnahmen.

Die Inschriften enden 1942. Unter dem Familiengrab der Spiras steht eine kleine Gedenkplatte, wohl mit dem Namen der 4 Kinder der Familie, die alle 1941-42 starben. Ihre Leichname werden hier nicht begraben sein.

The cemetery radiates a peaceful stillness, which is disturbed when one starts to look at the graves. The names that we can read are German-sounding, like Spitzer, Waldstein or Fried, and the texts are often in German.

After the basilica was built, Jews from other areas of the now Czech Republic who had roots in Germany or Austria settled in Trebic. Over the centuries they maintained their contact with the German language and culture and even after the Holocaust over a quarter of the Jews in the country said that they felt themselves associated with Germany. This - with other causes - led to repression of the Jews under the communist regime of the CSSR and to a further reduction of their numbers.

Back to the cemetery: the inscriptions on the graves end with 1942. For example, under the Spira family grave is a small engraved stone with the names of 4 family members - probably children - who all died in 1941 and 1942. Presumably it was not possible for them to be buried here.       

 

 

 

Vom jüdischen Friedhof aus nähern wir uns jetzt der Basilika St. Prokop. Sie wurde bald nach dem Entstehen der 1101 gegründeten, reichen und einflussreichen Benediktinerabtei im romanisch/gotischen Stil erbaut. Mit den Hussitenkriegen setzte ihr allmählicher Niedergang ein, der in der Erstürmung der Abtei durch das ungarische Heer 1468 gipfelte. Die Kirche verlor die Herrschaft und das Kloster wurde in ein Adelsschloss umgewandelt.

At the Jewish cemetery we help to push-start a car and enjoy the brief contact with the friendly Czech family. We are also  impressed by the son’s excellent English.
We then walk down towards the the Basilica of St. Prokop, which was built in Romanesque-Gothic style soon after the founding of the wealthy and influential Benedictine monastery in 1101.
Following the Hussite Wars the monastery started to decline, and after the abbey was stormed by the Hungarian army in 1468, the church lost control of it and it became a nobleman’s palace.   

 

 

 

 

Will man zur Kirche gelangen, muss man erst das Tor zum Schlosshof durchschreiten (links). Das Schloss blieb bis zu seiner Konfiskation 1945 in Besitz des Hauses Wallenstein.
Wenige Meter weiter stößt man auf dieses wunderschöne romanische Portal, das zu Recht Paradiestor genannt wird. Zwischen jeweils 11 Granitsäulen rechts und links der Tür finden sich verschiedene pflanzliche und geometrische Muster aus Sandstein.

The way to the church leads through the palace gateway (left). The palace remained in the ownership of the Wallenstein family until its confiscation in 1945.
A few metres further on is this beautiful Romanesque church entrance, which justly deserves the name ‘Paradise Door’. Between the 11 granite pillars on each side are various plant and geometrical sandstone-sculpted patterns.

 

 

 

Das Innere scheint uns mit seiner steinernen Wuchtigkeit fast zu erdrücken. Nur wenig Licht kann von außen eindringen, und die grellen Lampen lassen die leichte Grünstichigkeit der Mauern eigentümlich hervortreten. Das Dach des großen Kirchenschiffs wurde im 16. Jh. zerstört, doch im 18. Jahrhundert durch ein Barockgewölbe ersetzt. Von da an diente die Basilika wieder kirchlichen Zwecken und wurde dem heiligen St. Prokop geweiht.
Auf dem kleinen Bild kann man erkennen, dass zwei Chorbögen das Kirchenschiff in drei Räume aufteilen. Vom Hauptschiff aus blicken wir in das Presbyterium und den Mönchschor, die beide noch das ursprüngliche Gewölbe haben. Äußerst sehenswert ist auch die uralte Krypta der Kirche.

The stone massiveness of the interior is almost crushing. Little light gets in and the reflected of the bright lamps from the walls has an odd greenish colour. The original roof of the nave was destroyed in the 16th century and was replaced in the 18th century with a  Baroque arched roof. From then on the Basilica was used a church again and was dedicated to St. Prokop.
The 2 choir arches dividing the church into 3  parts can be seen in the smaller picture. From the main nave we look towards the presbytery and the monks’ choir, both of which still have the original vaulted ceiling. The ancient crypt is well-worth a visit.   

 

 

 

Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Trebic Panorama 10.2005

Läuft man um die Basilika herum, scheint man sich auf jeder Seite vor einem gänzlich anderen Gebäude zu befinden. Die westliche Barockfassade der Basilika schließt hier an die später zum Schloss ausgebaute Benediktinerabtei an, die heute ein Museum beherbergt. Dominant thront der Basilika-Abtei-Schloss-Museums-Komplex über der Stadt.

If you walk round the Basilica the building complex seems to present a completely different appearance. The western Baroque facade joins the previous Benedictine abbey which was rebuilt into a palace, now a museum. The whole complex is in a commanding position above the town. 

 

 

 

Vom Tal aus ergibt sich wieder ein ganz anderes Bild. Die baulich veränderte Fassade des Klosters zeigt hier noch ihre Bedeutung als ehemalige Festung.

The light is fading as we walk down towards the river and look back up from the valley. From here the fortress character of the building is predominant.

 

 

 

Zum Abschluss schlendern wir noch ein wenig durch die Straßen von Trebic und machen uns dann auf die weite Rückfahrt zum Campingplatz in Budweis.

Finally we wander through the town before starting on the long drive back to the camping site at Budweis. During the day we have seen plenty to think about.

 

 

 

Seite inklusive Navigationsleiste / Page including navigation menu