All pictures Copyright
 E & BJ Capper Nagold 2006/2007

 

Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture

11.5.2006

Prejmer & Hărman
   (Tartlau & Honigberg)

Kirchenburgen 3

Fortified Churches 3

Wir verlassen den Campingplatz in Carta und fahren weiter Richtung Osten. Im "Dracula-Ort" Bran finden wir einen schönen neuen Campingplatz.
Wir befinden uns nun im Burzenland, einem etwa 30 qkm großen flachen Gebiet, das im rechten unteren Knick des Karpatenbogens liegt. König Andreas II. rief 1211 den deutschen Ritterorden ins Land, um das unbevölkerte Gebiet gegen die Einfälle der Kumanen (sonst als Kyptschaken bekannt) zu sichern. Dafür erhielt der Orden pachtfreies Land und weitestgehende Rechte zugesichert. Er begann auch sofort mit dem Bau von Dörfern und Kirchen. Die Kirchenburg in Prejmer geht auf eine Gründung des Ordens zurück.
 Sie ist nicht zu übersehen. Im Zentrum von Prejmer parken wir neben einem massiven, äußerst ungewöhnlichen Gebäude.

We leave the camping site in Carta and drive further eastwards. In the ‘Dracula Town’ of Bran we find a good new camping site.
We are now in the Tara Barsei area, better known under its German name of Burzenland. It is a 30 sq km level area lying in the lower right curve of the Carpathians. King Andrew II of Hungary granted the Teutonic Order the land in 1211 in return for their services to defend it against attacks by the Cumans. The Order received the land rent-free and with extensive rights. They immediately started to build villages and churches. They were the founders of the fortified church in Prejmer.
You can’t overlook it. In the middle of Prejmer we park next to this massive and very unusual building.

 

 

 

Man muss diese Anlage unbedingt von oben gesehen haben. Da wir jedoch nicht mit Luftaufnahmen dienen können, muss diese Zeichnung, die im Museum der Kirchenburg hängt, als Übersicht genügen.
Die zentrale Kirche, die ursprünglich die Form eines griechischen Kreuzes (vier gleichlange Kreuzarme) besaß, wurde wohl vom Ritterorden nach dem Vorbild der Kreuzkirche in Jerusalem errichtet. Erst ab 1512 wurde das Längsschiff verlängert.
Die Wehranlage stammt ebenfalls aus dem 13.Jh. Sie wurde im Lauf der Jahrhunderte immer wieder verstärkt und erhielt die heutige Form mit einer Vorburg im Süden im 16./17.Jh. An den inneren Bering wurden vierstöckig Wohn- und Früchtekammern angelegt, (sehen Sie dazu das Bild ganz oben auf dieser Seite), und die derart aufgeblähte Mauer wurde komplett überdacht.

It would be useful to get an aerial view, but that we can’t offer. Instead, this drawing which hangs in the museum inside the fortified church gives a good overview.
The central church, originally built in the form of a Greek cross (with four equal-length arms), was erected by the Teutonic Order on the model of the Church of the Cross in Jerusalem. In 1512 the main nave was lengthened.
The defences also date from the 13th century. Over the centuries they were repeatedly strengthened and were given the current form with the fortress on the south side in the 16th or 17th century. On the inside of the inner fortification walls four stories of dwellings and storerooms rooms were built (see picture at the top of the page), and the thus thickened ring was roofed over.

 

 

 

Wir sind durch den im 18.Jh. errichteten Eingang, an dessen Stelle früher eine Zugbrücke stand, in die Vorburg eingetreten. Wie im innersten Ring der Kirchenburg wurde auch die Mauer in diesem Bereich mit mehrstöckigen Kammern bebaut. Das gelbe Gebäude rechts war früher das Rathaus, heute ist es ein Museum, in dem uns eine Siebenbürger Sächsin freundlich begrüßt und ausgiebig informiert.
Ob die Anerkennung der Burg als UNESCO Weltkulturerbe dieser nütze, fragen wir, was die Frau nur unter Vorbehalt bejahen mag. Die Behörde rede bei jeder baulichen Maßnahme hinein, manchmal ohne die genauen örtlichen Bedingungen zu kennen. So habe man für die neue Dacheindeckung eine bestimmte Ziegelmischung nehmen müssen, von der die hier Ansässigen wussten, dass sie dem hiesigen Wetter nicht angepasst ist. Tatsächlich waren uns beim Eintreten die neuen, doch bereits bröckelnden Ziegel (z.B. über dem Treppenaufgang) aufgefallen.
Sie sieht auch noch eine andere, größere Gefährdung der Burg, gegen die nichts unternommen werde. Der Grundwasserspiegel in diesem Landesteil ist ständig am Steigen. Die Grundmauern der Burg seien alle von Wasser umspült. Sie zeigt uns den Eingang zu einem unterirdischen Gang (Bildmitte unten, hinter der Holzbrüstung). In ihm steht das Wasser fast bis zur Erdoberfläche. Er kann schon seit einiger Zeit nicht mehr betreten werden.

We have come in through the entrance, built in the 18th century in place of the previous draw-bridge, and are in the first court. This court is also surrounded by rooms on several stories. The yellow building on the right was used as town hall, today it is a museum. There a Translvanian Saxon lady greets us in a friendly way and gives us lots of information.
We ask if the recognition of the castle as UNESCO World Heritage has helped. Her answer is only partially positive. The officials involve themselves in every building project, but often have no idea of local conditions. So for new roofing they dictated a particular mixture for the tiles, although people in the area knew that these tiles would not last in local weather conditions. On entering we have noticed new but already crumbling tiles above the covered stairway.
Another greater risk to the castle that she sees is one which apparently nothing is being done about. The ground water level in the area is rising continually. She showed us the entrance to an underground passage (behind the fence in the middle of the picture). The water in it is visibly almost up to ground-level and the passage hasn’t been useable for some time now.

 

 

 

Die einzelnen Kammern sind über Holztreppen und Balkone erreichbar. Die Stufen sind so steil, dass man sich eher auf einer Leiter wähnt. Da die Burg im Laufe ihrer Geschichte mehrfach niedergebrannt ist, hängen heute an vielen Stellen Löschgeräte.

The various rooms are reachable via balconies, and via wooden steps that are so steep that they are more like ladders. The castle has been burnt down often enough in history and is now well equipped with modern fire-extinguishers.

 

 

 

 

 

Die Kirchenburg Prejmer ist die größte und die östlichste aller Siebenbürger Kirchenburgen und war den Angriffen von Mongolen, Tataren, Türken, Kosaken, Moldauern und anderen besonders ausgesetzt. Fünfzig Mal wurde Prejmer beschädigt und wieder aufgebaut, aber anscheined nur einmal eingenommen. Schwere Fallgatter bezeugen die Notwendigkeit, sich verteidigen zu müssen.

The fortified church at Prejmer is the largest and furthest east of these Transylvanian fortifications and was thus especially exposed to the attacks by Mongols, Tartars, Turks, Cossacks, Moldavians and others. Prejmer was damaged and rebuilt 50 times, but apparently actually taken only once. A heavy portcullis, (left the top of it as seen in the museum, right the lower part), was part of the defences in the passage through to the inner court.

 

 

 

Die Kirchen innerhalb der Burzenländer Kirchenburgen sind, anders als die im restlichen Siebenbürgen, gänzlich unverstärkt, also keine Wehrkirchen. Das Foto rechts gibt vielleicht den ursprünglich gleicharmigen Grundriss zu erkennen.
Die Kirche wurde übrigens nicht vom Deutschen Ritterorden fertiggestellt. Dieser hatte von König Andreas die Auflage erhalten, nur Gebäude aus Holz zu bauen. Daran hielt sich der Orden schon nach wenigen Jahren nicht mehr, er zeigte starke Expandierungstendenzen und wurde bereits 1225 von Andreas II. mit Waffengewalt vertrieben. Die von ihnen errichteten Kirchen wurden dem Zisterzienserkloster in Kerz (Carta) übergeben, das die Kirchen im gotischen Stil vollendete.

In contrast to the actual church buildings in the rest of Transylvania, those in Tara Barsei (Burzenland) are not themselves fortified, but have surrounding defences. In the photo we see part of the original Greek cross form.
The church was not actually completed by the Teutonic Order. By order of King Andrew they were only allowed to build wooden buildings. After a few years they started to ignore this and to expand vigourously, so Andrew drove them out by force of arms in 1225. Their churches were handed over to the Cistercian Monastery at Carta, which finished the churches in the Gothic style.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Prejmer 5.2006Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Prejmer 5.2006Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Prejmer 5.2006Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Prejmer 5.2006

Das Innere der Kirche hat uns sehr beeindruckt. Wir haben entlang der Arme in jede Kompassrichtung geknipst, um möglichst eine Gesamtanschau des Baus zu erhalten. Schöne Netzrippengewölbe und Spitzbögen bezeugen den gotischen Einfluss, und die zwei hohen Maßwerkfenster hinter dem Altar und die Radfenster erinnern an die Klosterkirche in Kerz (Carta).

We were very impressed by the interior of the church. We photographed along the arms of the building in each compass direction to try to give an overview of it. Beautiful ribbed ceilings and pointed arches witness to the Gothic style, and the two tracery windows behind the altar and also the rose windows are reminders of Carta.

 

 

 

Auch dieses Pult in blau-roter Bemalung ähnelt den Farbtönen und dem bäuerlich-barocken Stil in der Kerzer Kirche. Glaube, Liebe, Hoffnung, Beständigkeit und der Lohn dafür werden auf den einzelnen Tafeln dargestellt.

The pulpit decorated in blue and red colours and with Primitive/Baroque paintings remind again of the church at Carta. Faith, Love, Hope, Perseverance and their rewards are shown on the individual panels.

 

 

 

In den 60er Jahren des 20. Jahrhunderts restaurierte man die Kirche, wobei dieser gotische Flügelaltar aus dem Burzenländer Museum hierher zurückgebracht wurde. Neben der Kreuzigung Jesu zeigt er Grablegungs- und Wiederauferstehungsszenen.

The church was restored in the 1960’s, and at that time the Gothic winged altar was brought back here from the Burzenland Museum. It shows scenes of the crucifixion, burial and resurrection of Christ.

 

 

 

In einem engen Kreis umfasst die Ringmauer mit den angebauten Wohn- und Vorratsräumen die Kirche. Jeder Hof im Ort bekam seinen eigenen Raum zugewiesen, in den man sich zurückzog, sobald die Warnglocke einen Überfall ankündigte. Gekennzeichnete Schulräume weisen darauf hin, dass trotz einer Belagerung der Schulunterricht im Innern der Burg fortgesetzt wurde.

The defensive walls with the dwellings and storerooms built onto them surround the church in a tight ring. Each farm in the town had its own room assigned into which they would retreat as soon as the bell warned of an attack. Rooms marked as school rooms indicate that despite a siege teaching would carry on inside the castle. 

 

 

 

Es gab schließlich 276 Räume, die einzelnen Familien zugeteilt waren. Einige der nummerierten Türen sind offen - niemand hindert uns daran einzutreten - und wir lassen die heute kargen, früher sicher überfüllten Räume auf uns wirken.
Die Kammern sind durch verschiedene Durchgänge miteinander verbunden, ebenso führt eine Zimmeröffnung zu dem Wehrgang (unten), der an der äußeren Mauer entlang läuft und im Falle eines Angriffs von den wehrtauglichen Männern besetzt wurde.

There were a total of 276 rooms which were assigned to individual families. Some of the numbered doors are open and we can go in and feel the atmosphere of the rooms, now sparse, but in times of emergency certainly overfilled.
There are various connecting openings and passageways joining some of the rooms, in particular there are openings onto the defensive passage (below).

 

 

 

In einem Kreis verläuft um den gesamten bewehrten Rundgang dieser breite Durchlass, der nach links Öffnungen zu den Wohnkammern darbot und nach rechts Zugänge zu den schmalen Schießscharten und Pechnasen der Außenmauer. Es bleibt der eigenen Fantasie überlassen, sich die Gänge mit unzähligen kampfbereiten Familienvätern und Söhnen gefüllt vorzustellen.

This passageway runs right round inside the outside wall, with openings to the rooms on the left and arrow loop-holes and access to the murder holes for throwing things out of on the right.

 

 

 

 

 

Es berührt einen innerlich, dass die Siebenbürger Sachsen auch nach Erfindung völlig zerstörerischer Waffen und der Aufstellung eines nationalen Heeres, das die Landesgrenzen verteidigte (ab dem 18.Jh. die habsburgischen Heere), also nach dem Überflüssigwerden althergebrachter Verteidigungsmechanismen, an der Pflege ihrer Kirchenburgen festhielten. Die Identifikation mit diesen Kirche-Burg-Rathaus-Schule-Komplexen war so stark, dass viele von ihnen bis heute überleben konnten.

It is moving to realize that the Transylvanian Saxons, even after the development of overpowering firearms  and after a national army was established to defend the countries’ borders, (from the 18th century the Habsburg forces), i.e. after such defences were only of limited effect, still kept up their fortified churches. Their identification with this complex, which combined church, castle, town hall and school, was so strong that many have survived until today.  

 

 

 

Nochmals ein Blick auf die Kirchenburg Tartlau (wie sie ja jahrhundertelang hieß, erst Ceausescu verbot die deutschen Namen), die, inmitten höchst aktuell blühender Obstbäume, wie ein Relikt aus vergangenen Zeitaltern wirkt.

Another view of the fortified church of Prejmer, which for centuries bore the name Tartlau until Ceausescu forbade the use of the German place names. In the middle of fruit trees in full flower it stands up as a remarkable relic of days gone by.

 

 

 

Die Leiterin des Museums in Prejmer spricht von einer weiteren Kirchenburg, die sie selbst so interessant wie die Tartlauer findet - halt nur nicht öffentlich ausgezeichnet durch die UNESCO -, die sich im benachbarten Ort Honigberg (Harman) befindet.
Wir haben längst gelernt, solchen Empfehlungen zu vertrauen, und suchen unseren Weg zwischen souverän den Verkehr beherrschenden, heimwärts trabenden Kühen und verrosteten Ambulanzen hindurch zum Ort Harman.

The caretaker at the museum in Prejmer tells us about another fortified church which she find just as interesting but which is not explicitly included on the UNESCO list, and which is located in nearby Harman.
We rely on this good advice and set off to Harman in wet weather through the late afternoon streets. The scene is livened up by cows walking back home to be milked unaccompanied through the traffic and by a very rusty ambulance rushing past.

 

 

 

Auch hier muss man nur Richtung Ortszentrum zielen und findet unweigerlich die hiesige Kirchenburg. Um den ehemaligen Burggraben wachsen große Kastanien, denen man allerdings zu Leibe gerückt ist. Aus dem klotzigen Plattenbau kann man jetzt wieder direkt auf die Kirchenburg blicken - und von dort aus auf den Plattenbau.

Here as well you just aim for the town centre and  easily find the fortified church. Near the old moat is a row of rather severely trimmed old chestnut trees which now allow a direct and less obstructed view of the castle from this block of concrete slab flats, or maybe of the block of flats from the castle, depending on your priorities.

 

 

 

Und das ist die Ansicht des alten Gebäudes. Wieder ein historisches Sahnestückchen ersten Ranges. Die Kirche wurde zwischen 1280 und 1300 erbaut. Fast kreisrund umgeben sie drei Mauern mit einem Umfang von 430m, somit ist auch sie eine der größten Anlagen in Siebenbürgen. Der innere Bering ist 12m hoch und an der Basis 4m stark. Sieben viergeschossige Türme flankieren die Mauer (links der einzige Turm mit Pultdach, in dem sich eine Kapelle aus dem 15.Jh. befindet, die mit wertvollsten Fresken ausgemalt ist).

And this is the view of the old castle. Yet another historical treasure. The church was built between 1280 and 1300. Three almost circular walls surround it with a perimeter of 430m, which makes it one of the largest church fortifications in Transylvania. The inner ring is 12m high and at the base 4m thick and surrounded by seven four-storied towers. Of these, only the one on the left has a flat sloping roof. In it is a 15th century chapel decorated by valuable frescoes.

 

 

 

Wir klingeln am Burghüterhäuschen und hoffen auf Einlass. Der engagierte Kurator, der sich sichtlich bemüht, das Vorhandene soweit wie möglich zu erhalten, ist gerade abwesend, doch eine junge Verwandte schließt uns auf und übernimmt kompetent die Führung. Als wir in den Hof eintreten, sind wir verblüfft über die uns neue Spielart der Befestigung von Kammern. Hier in Harman wurden die Wohn- und Fruchtkammern nicht nur an den Bering angebaut, sondern gleich an der Kirche selbst. Über steile Treppen erreicht man die Schutzräume, die wie Schwalbennester unter dem Dachvorsprung der Kirche hängen.
Die Kirche wurde im romanischen Stil begonnen und gotisch vollendet. Im Jahr 1710 spendeten schwedische Soldaten, die sich mit Karl XII. zwei Wochen in Honigberg aufhielten, eine Orgel und einen Altar, der jedoch 70 Jahre später durch den heutigen barocken ersetzt wurde.

We ring at the door of the castle caretaker/curator and hope to be let in. The dedicated curator, who is evidently very committed to preserve everything as well as possible, is not there, but a young relative opens up for us and competently takes on the job as our guide. When we enter the courtyard, we are greeted by yet another style of attaching rooms onto the walls. Here in Haman the dwellings and storerooms are not just built onto the external  walls, but also onto the church itself. Steep steps lead up to the rooms, which are like swallows nests built under the overhang of the church roof.
The church was begun in the Romanesque style and completed as Gothic. In 1710 Swedish soldiers, who spent two weeks in Haman together with their king Charles XII of Sweden, donated from their pay an organ and an altar. 70 years later the altar was replaced by the current Baroque one.

 

 

 

 

Wie in vielen anderen Kirchen Siebenbürgens hängen auch hier zahlreiche Orientteppiche, die von Kaufleuten gespendet worden waren, die mit den Tataren Handel trieben.
Bemerkenswert sind die archaisch wirkenden Sitzbänke in der Kirchenmitte, die 1595 nach einem Brand aufgestellt wurden. Die lehnenlosen Bänke waren den Frauen zugedacht, deren rückwärtige Schmuckbänder an ihren Trachten so geschont werden sollten.
Auch heutzutage finden sonntags noch Gottesdienste statt, wenn auch für eine zahlenmäßig stark geschrumpfte Gemeinde.

As in many churches in Transylvania there are many oriental carpets hanging in the church, which were donated by traders who dealt with the Tartars.
Remarkable also are the archaic-looking pews in the body of the church, which were installed after a fire in 1595. The pews have no back-rests, so that the decorated ribbons on the backs of the women’s traditional costumes would not be damaged.
Sunday services still take place here, although the congregation is now much smaller. 

 

 

 

Unsere Führerin weist uns auf ein weiteres interessantes Detail über einem seitlichen Portal hin. Das Gemälde stellt einen Pelikan dar, der der Sage nach bei Nahrungsmangel seine Jungen zu fütterten versucht, indem er sich selbst Blut aus der Brust entnimmt. In Europa des Mittelalters wurde das zu einem Symbol für die Passion Christi.

Our guide points out another interesting detail above a side portal. The painting shows a pelican, which according to legend in times of scarcity would feed its young with blood from its own breast. In mediaeval Europe this came to be used as a symbol for the Passion of Christ.

 

 

 

Die Kammern wurden wohl nachträglich vor die Kirchenwand gesetzt.
Im Laufe der Jahrhunderte wurde Honigberg durch schwere feindliche Angriffe mehrfach verwüstet, litt aber auch sehr unter Bränden, Überschwemmungen, der Pest und Heuschreckenplagen.

The rooms must have been built onto the church walls at a later date.
In the course of centuries Harman was severely damaged several times by enemy attacks, but also suffered badly from fire, flooding, bubonic plague epidemics and plagues of locusts.

 

 

 

 

 

Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Harman 5.2006

Auf diesem Bild sieht man nochmals die Kammern, die ringsum an die Kirche angebaut wurden. Zu Zeiten der Not waren sie und der Hof voller Menschen (und wohl auch Tieren). Kaum vorstellbar, wie Frauen in ausladenden Röcken oder Alte die steilen Leitern erklimmen konnten.
Der innere Mauerring ist nur noch zum Teil mit zweigeschossigen Fruchtkammern bebaut. Diese und die an der Kirchenmauer werden jedoch offensichtlich renoviert.
Wer weiß, ob nicht in wenigen Jahren solche Burgen als mittelalterliche Erlebnishotels vermarktet werden.

In this picture we see again the chambers built onto the sides of the church. In times of emergency they and the courtyard area were full of people and animals. Very steep steps for the old or for women with large skirts!
Space on the inner defensive wall is only partially filled with storage rooms. These and the ones on the church walls are clearly being renovated.
Maybe in future years such castles will be used for adventure vacations!

 

 

 

Anklicken zum Vergrößern / Click for larger picture. Harman 5.2006

Nochmals ein Bild von der äußeren Burg, diesmal von der anderen Seite. Auffallend sind die zahlreichen Pechnasen am oberen Mauerrand. Links befindet sich das Burghüterhäuschen, das frühere Rathaus. Wie bei fast allen Kirchenburgen, die wir gesehen haben, steht auch hier die Kirchturmuhr still. Man fragt sich, wann sie zum letzen Mal geschlagen hat.

Another picture of the castle, now from the other side. The murder holes (technically called machicolations), i.e. openings to pour hot pitch or anything else unpleasant out of, are evident near the upper edge of the wall. On the left is the castle warder’s house, previously the town hall. As at most of the fortified churches that we have seen, the church clock has stopped. Interesting to know when it last chimed!

 

 

 

Seite inklusive Navigationsleiste / Page including navigation menu